Manitowoc OWI/DUI Defense Attorneys
Drunk Driving Defense Lawyers in Wisconsin
If you were arrested on suspicion of operating while intoxicated (OWI), you have a very important decision to make: Will you plead guilty? Choosing to fight the charge can be a good decision, but doing so requires the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney.
At Kaminski & Pozorski, we provide aggressive and skilled OWI/DUI defense for people in Manitowoc, Sheboygan, Fond du Lac, the Fox Valley, Green Bay and all communities in northeast Wisconsin. We have more than 40 years of criminal defense experience and are known for our ability to keep our clients’ records clean or negotiate for reduced sentences. Drunk driving convictions can follow you for years. We do our best to prevent that.
Possible Penalties for a Drunk Driving Conviction
The consequences for a Wisconsin DUI/OWI conviction vary greatly by county, as well as by the type of license you have. The law frequently changes. Most of all, the quality of your legal representation can make a great deal of difference in the outcome.
Below is a rough breakdown of the penalties you face if convicted of drunk driving in Wisconsin:
- First OWI offense: fine of up to $300; driver’s license suspension of up to six months; alcohol counseling
- Second OWI offense: fine of up to $1,100; up to six months in jail; license suspension of up to 18 months; installation of an ignition interlock device (IID); alcohol counseling
- Third OWI offense: fine of up to $2,000; up to one year in jail; two- to-three year license revocation; installation of an ignition interlock device (IID); alcohol counseling
- Fourth OWI within five years: fine of up to $10,000; up to six years in jail; two- to-three year license revocation; installation of an ignition interlock device (IID); alcohol counseling
These penalties can increase substantially if certain aggravating factors are present. For example, if you had a passenger in your vehicle who was under the age of 16, if you have multiple offenses within five years or if someone was injured as a result of your drinking and driving, then you could face an even harsher sentence.
Exploring All Possible Defenses Against Drunk Driving Charges
Many people are under the false impression that there is no way to fight a drunk driving charge. That could not be further from the truth. Our Manitowoc OWI defense lawyers have succeeded in having OWI charges thrown out based on:
- Illegal traffic stops — Police cannot pull drivers over for no reason. They must have reasonable suspicion of something illegal.
- Breathalyzer tests — These machines must be calibrated properly and the officer must be trained in how to operate them.
- Blood tests — Blood evidence must be carefully handled by police to avoid contamination. We will investigate whether your blood test was accurate and processed correctly.
- Field sobriety tests — The ability to stand, balance and walk can be affected by weather conditions, uneven ground, physical disabilities or visual impairments. Officers sometimes improperly administer the tests or give unclear instructions to the driver.
We will do everything we can to fight your charges. We will handle the criminal case as well as the administrative issues regarding your driver’s license. With the help of our experienced legal team, your chances of success are greatly increased.
Contact a Green Bay Truck Accident Attorney
If you were injured or lost a loved one due to someone elses’ actions, we welcome the opportunity to discuss your potential legal claim. To arrange a free consultation with our experienced Wisconsin personal injury lawyers, call 888-656-8574 or contact our Manitowoc law firm online. We represent clients in Fond du Lac, the Fox Valley and throughout Manitowoc and Brown Counties.